Tuesday 15 July 2014

Mustard seed

“I assure you that if you have faith as big as a mustard seed, you can say to the hill ‘go from here to there’ and it will go” Matthew 17:20.



I felt so proud on that day when I wore that graduation gown, my parents were so proud of me for making them proud with a first class honors degree. It was the first of its kind in my family so you can imagine how happy my African mother was. It was indeed a memorable day, day I will never forget no matter how hard I try, it was one of those days you look back and smile knowing your hardwork paid off.


Looking back right now however, I don’t know if I should keep smiling or to start crying because that memory was almost 2years ago and I still haven’t landed my dream job, I have been going from one retail job to a customer service job. Sometimes I even find it hard to believe I graduated with a first class, I thought that was all I needed, I studied all night for three years to get this so why exactly haven’t I got my dream job yet? I doubt if God even loves or remembers me, I thought they said he is a merciful God, that His grace is sufficient for me? Well I definitely haven’t experienced the mercies or grace. It’s like God is punishing me for all my past sins now, but I asked for forgiveness and have been saved, been living a saved life ever since I rededicated my life so why will He choose to punish me this way. I am honestly tired but backsliding is not an option.

Just then my phone rings, I look at who is calling and the caller ID is withheld “who can this be” I thought. I pick up after the third ring, “Hello” I said, ‘Hi’ the voice on the other end replies and continues ‘I will like to speak to Demola Afolabi please’, “speaking” I replied, ‘oh hi, this is Lucy from Trush Engineering, we found your CV on one of the recruitment websites and we identified some exceptional skills you have which is a perfect fit for one of our job openings, because of the urgency in filling this position, we will not be able to conduct any interviews as we will be providing training for whoever we recruit for the position. Before I continue, I will like to find out if you are still looking for a job sir?’ she finally pauses. “Ye, yes yes I am” I manage to say then she continues ‘oh that’s great sir, so will you like to accept this position so I can send you the contract for you to sign and send back to us as soon as possible?’ “Of course I accept” I said.

That's the last thing I remember from our discussion before tears started streaming freely from my face, I realized God is really not man that He should lie, I realized how amazing He is, His grace is definitely sufficient for us, His love isn’t based on what we have to offer Him, it’s based on the fact that He is love, His grace is not dependent on our past because no matter how hard we try to live right we will always fall short of His glory and only His grace can keep us going then the book of Isaiah 43:18-19 came to my mind it says Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

So I implore you, whatever it is you are going through or believing God for, remember God is God simply because He is and He will show forth for you at the right time but you need to believe and have faith that He will because He honors his words more than His name.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

No comments:

Post a Comment